In response to the fact that it is once again coming up on election time, I decided to do a little research of my own. My decision to do this research was based upon a mild curiosity as to what certain terms, that we all take for granted, actually meant.
Here is what I found:
Politics – (From Greek politikos “of, for or relating to citizens’) as a term it is generally applied to the art or science of running governmental or state affairs, including behavior within civil government, but also applies to institutions, fields and special interest groups such as the corporate, academic & religious segments of society.
It consists of “social relations involving authority or power” and to the methods and tactics used to formulate & apply policy. (1)
Modern political discourse focuses on democracy & the relationship between people &politics. It is thought of as the way we “choose government officials & make decisions about public policy”. (2)
The above explanation can be found via Wikipedia.
The definitions below can be found via The Free Dictionary by Farlex.
- A person owing loyalty to & entitled by birth, or naturalization, to the protection of a state or nation.
- A resident of a city or town, especially one entitled to vote and enjoy privileges there.
- A civilian.
- A native, inhabitant or denizen of a particular place.
- Artful or shrewd ingenious.
- Crafty or unscrupulous, cunning.
- Sagacious, wise, prudent, especially in statesmanship.
- An archaic word for political.
- Of, characterized by or advocating democracy.
- Of or for the people in general; popular.
- Blieving in or practicing social equality.
- Democratic: of, relating to or characteristic of the Democratic Party.
- Government by the people or their elected representatives.
- A political or social unit governed ultimately by all its members.
- The practice or spirit of social equality
- A social condition of classlessness & equality.
- The common people, especially as a political force.
- A political order whose head of state is not a monarch and in modern times is usually a president.
- A nation that has such a political order.
- A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them.
- Often Republic. A specific republican government of a nation.
- An autonomous or partially autonomous political & territorial unit belonging to a sovereign federation.
- A group of people working as equals in the same sphere or field.
- One that serves as an example or type for others of the same classification.
- One that serves as a delegate or agent for another.
- A member of a governmental body, usually legislative, chosen by popular vote.
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives or of the lower house of a state legislature.
- Representing, depicting or portraying or able to do so.
- Authorized to act as an official delegate or agent.
- Of or characteristic of government by representation.
- Like or typical of others of the same class.
- An assembly or a council of citizens having the highest deliberative and legislative functions in a government specifically.
- The upper house of the U.S. Congress, to which two members are elected from each state by popular vote for a six-year term.
- The upper house in the bicameral legislature of many states in the U.S.
- The upper legislative house in Canada, France, and some other countries.
- The supreme council of state of the ancient Roman Republic and later of the Roman Empire.
- The building or hall in which such a council or assembly meets.
- A governing, advisory or disciplinary body of some colleges and universities composed of faculty members and sometimes student representatives.
- A formal assembly of representatives, as of various nations, to discuss problems.
- The national legislative body of a nation, especially a republic.
- The national legislative body of the U.S. consisting of the Senate & the House of Representatives.
- The two-year session of this legislature between elections of the House of Representatives.
- The act of coming together or meeting.
- A single meeting, as of a political party or other group.
- Sexual intercourse.
I have pointed out some of the more ironic definitions of each aspect of our lovely nation. I have to admit that my all time favorite, for many unsavory reasons, is #7 under Congress. Yes, I went there. And so did you when you read it.
Oh! The irony!